Pete Weiss <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 25 Jan 1999 14:08:23 -0500
At 13:59 01/25/1999 -0500, you wrote:

|What you can do in the meantime is get in the habit of setting
|susbcribers to DIGEST as soon as they stop bouncing, so that you only
|get one (or a few) bounce per day instead of 100, or even to NOMAIL --
|when they get their address fixed, they'll get in touch with you, hopefully.

I hate handling the same problem twice (if I can possibly help it).  I
also don't really like having subscribers act indignant and emailing a
list of thousands of other subscribers "why aren't I getting my mail?"

My answer is to

SET listname NOMAIL NOPOST FOR bouncer

(or sometimes DELETE depending upon the ISP) and hope that one day, they
realize that the 30-40 mail messages that they were receiving have
stopped, and then they need to contact us (which they seem to be able to
figure out from the standard LISTSERV(R) template responses).

Having previously SET them to NOPOST ensures that they can't send a
nastygram to the list, just we the list-owners.  We're prepared to handle
that abuse w/ boilerplate.  Another reason to set them to NOPOST is that
then forms part of our work-group processes (we don't set folks to NOPOST
because of on-list off-topic -- they would simply be nuked and filtered)
with multiple list-owners who are not colocated.  Of course it does help
to have access to the LISTSERV machine either thru a WEB int.f of VM/CMS
(using TELL LISTSERV).