Natalie Maynor <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 10 Apr 1994 07:57:38 -0500
> those lists.  I don't think either, however, has the volume of
> WORDS-L, so I understand your priority to get people off the list
> as soon as possible.

Unless I'm in a particularly impatient mood at the moment, I don't
usually do anything about bouncing mail until I see 15 or 20 bounces
from an address.  I think the other WORDS-L owners have the same attitude,
although we haven't discussed it.  With my other lists, both of which are
relatively quiet (usually no more than 20 or so messages on even a busy
day), I don't do anything about bouncing mail for several days.  As long
as the bounces aren't being distributed to subscribers, I feel that it's
tacky to cut somebody off too quickly since the subscribers usually aren't
responsible for temporary glitches that cause their mail to bounce.

I see your point about the need for coordination to keep listowners from
sending duplicate messages to postmasters, btw.  And I guess in a way we
have sort of an implicit coordination on WORDS-L since the other listowners
came in as helpers when I was going to be out of the country for several
weeks last summer with questionable telnet access.  I think they would
probably check with me before doing something like changing list headers
or sending mail to postmasters.  Now that I think about it, I'm not sure
that they even know the list password -- not because I was keeping it a
secret from them, simply because none of us thought about it.
   --Natalie ([log in to unmask])