Margaret King <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 15 Aug 2002 12:08:36 -0400
Winship wrote:

> I've a subscriber asking where the best info on Klez is to be found.
> She has been hit repeatedly and doesn't think her "antivirus" program
> is doing all it should.  Where is the best info to be found?  Who
> puts out the best "anti-Klez" product?
>
> I ask as I don't know the answers, though I do know that some "antivirus'
> sytems will report a virus, and delete the item, when none is present,
> which I think may be part of her problem.

Someone else already posted the Symantec link.  I just wanted to
mention that we have had a lot of problems with Klez here at MSU,
so I am acutely aware that Klez goes out of its way to cause
confusion as to who does and does not have it.  It forges its
virus emails to appear to be from addresses it finds in the victims
address book, and/or sends them error messages forged to appear to
be from their "postmaster".  Consequently the person who has Klez
may be blissfully unaware, while all their coworkers (whose addresses
are on the victims machine) think -they- must have it and their AV
must not be working....  I have been trying to urge people here to
learn to read Received headers.

Margaret King ([log in to unmask])
Michigan State University