Sat, 3 Feb 2001 09:31:38 +0100
I wrote recently asking how I could set up easily accessible selected
archives for members of a list of which I am co-owner and was told on
this list that that is not possible with LISTSERV.

I've been thinking and want to ask : Why isn't the following
possible?:

1.  Create a "channel" ARCH (We already use tags, CHAT, DIScussion
etc. and members can switch channels on and off so that they only
receive messages in which they are interested).

2.   Collect together, sort out, edit  and select threads which I
want to put in the accessible archives (by going to the complete logs
of postings) and re-post to ARCH.

3.   Send a message to my list saying: "The archivist has posted to
ARCH the following file which can be retrieved by sending the
following command to the server........."

Wouldn't that work?

The only possible difficulty I can envisage is that the re-posted
file might break the list's "length of message" rule - but that,
surely, could be re-set.

I'd appreciate comments. I'm an absolute beginner and realise what
I've suggested above may well be impossible for reasons I can't even
guess at.

Dennis
=====
Dennis(Newson)