Marty Hoag <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 16 Apr 1993 14:12:05 CDT
   I don't read LSTOWN-L regularly but Dan Wheeler forwarded this to me.
>I've just had the same experience for the first time.  This
>morning I got a request from a subscriber who asked to be
>reinstated and who enclosed the LISTSERV message to her:
>
>> Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1993 09:32:28 -0500
>> From: BITNET list server at NDSUVM1 <[log in to unmask]>
>> To: Kathy Kothmann <[log in to unmask]>
>> Subject: Output of your job "kathyk"
>>
>>...  lines omitted
>
>When I sent the serve command, I got this:
>
>> (NDSUVM1)LISTSERV - * [log in to unmask] had not had his access to
>> (NDSUVM1)LISTSERV - * LISTSERV suspended.

   The problem is that RFC822 allows the "local part" of the address,
the part BEFORE the "@",  to be case dependent.  Therefore:

    [log in to unmask]   is NOT the same address as   [log in to unmask]

   I did a   serve [log in to unmask]  and service was restored.
This is one time where LISTSERV is probably doing the right thing
to preserve the case exactly.  It is possible to have cases where
the difference might be significant.  Of course, being case sensitive
on any part of the incoming mail address is not a good idea but
we have to play by the rules.

   Note that the RIGHT side of the "@" MUST be case independent.
So the addresses  [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask], and
[log in to unmask]  are all equivalent.  Once in a while you still
find some systems which have problems with this.

       Marty

Marty Hoag                                 US Mail: NDSU Computer Center
ND Higher Education Computer Network                IACC Room 206
Phone: (701)-237-8639  Fax: (701)-237-8541          PO Box 5164
Bitnet:   nu021172@NDSUVM1    (NOTE 0 = ZERO)       Fargo, ND  58105
Internet: [log in to unmask]   UUCP:...!uunet!plains!vm1.nodak.edu!nu021172