Sat, 29 Apr 2000 07:47:06 +0300
Another bad thing regarding this service, is that it gives a higher priority
to lists which get better and more grades, and it asks the list owner to
bring the list members to vote. This means that a list owner that will
urge his members to visit this list will be more apparent in searches
than a list owner who does not.

At the moment they are asking for permission in order to archive, but
some web search engines do archive mailing lists archives, and this is
what mainly bothers me, since those do not really archive the list, but
rather index it, making members lose their semi-privacy which they had
in the list and furthermore expose them to spams spiders. Although at
the moment my list is not yet archived in any web search engine, Once
it is, it will change a lot.

One thing that it worth to learn from one of those archives (Listquest
mailing list's archive which also asks for permission in order to archive),
is the fact that the e-mail addresses in the archive are in "gif" (or
perhaps jpg, I don't remember) format, giving a good defence against
spamming spiders. I hope that one day the archives of LISTSERV will
use a similar antispamming trick.

Uzi