Paul Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 12 Oct 2005 17:40:08 -0500
On 10/12/2005 14:24, Kenny, Melissa S wrote:
> I have a list owner who set up a private list (Send= Private,Hold,Confirm).
> They wanted some other individuals to be able to send to the list, so they
> set them up as editors.  Now, one person listed as an editor says she can
> no longer send to the list.  When she tries to send she gets an error
> saying "You  are  not authorized  to  send  mail to  the  LISTNAME list
> from  your [log in to unmask] account."  I verified that the account they're
> sending from and the one listed in the EDITOR keyword are identical.  This
> is on Listserv 1.8e.
>
> I'm always confused as to whether this should work at all, and if so, why it
> stopped working.  Can anyone enlighten me?  Thank you!

First, 'Hold' is a valid parameter for 'Send= Editor,...'; it is not a valid
parameter for 'Send= Private,...'.

Second, 'Send=Private,...' means that you must be a subscriber in order to post
to the list. If she was able to post in the past, and the list configuration
has not changed, then she was apparently posting from an address that is/was
subscribed to the list. If she can no longer post to the list, then either her
return address has changed or it is no longer subscribed to the list.

If the list configuration contains a 'Service=' statement, it would be a good
idea to verify that the user's return address is in the defined service area.
The documentation states that the 'Service=' keyword "defines the 'service
area' outside of which subscription requests must not be accepted", however,
we have found that it also affects the ability to post to the list.

--
Paul Russell
Senior Systems Administrator