Paula Ford <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 2 Jul 2000 21:12:35 -0400
On Saturday, July 01, 2000, Debra Douglass wrote:
<snip>
> I just had an organization take exception to something posted about
> them on one of my lists and it appears that they got the post from the
> archives via the post. I've been uncomfortable with non-subscribers
> having access to the archives since the LISTSERV was upgraded to
> 1.8d. I set up my list to be semi-moderated ("Editor= (listname)" so
> that non-subscribers couldn't post without approval (mostly to cut
> down on spam).

This is interesting. In February, on a local list owner's list, there
was discussion about a flurry of subscriptions from the employees of
webclipping.com. This is a company that watches the Internet for mention
of their customers. In response to correspondence from a list owner,
they said that they were testing adding mailing lists to their
monitoring activities. Their web site still says that they monitor only
Web pages, online publications, and Usenet, but you want to check your
subscribers for webclipping.com. They might have gotten smarter, though,
and not be using the company e-mail address.

Nice to know that saying "Dell sucks" on a mailing list may get you a
threatening e-mail from some lawyer.

---
Paula Ford