Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 9 Feb 2006 02:04:58 +0100
> I was wondering, if one AOL subscriber sends email to another AOL
> subscriber, will AOL have to pay the "certified Goodmail" fee to
> Goodmail?  Or do they have a special deal to avoid that?

I think it's a safe assumption that such a message never leaves AOL - why
would it? That's how internal e-mail is implemented, I dare not say
everywhere because someone will prove me wrong, but almost everywhere. So it
seems safe to assume that, no, they aren't going to pay to talk to
themselves.

> Or, lets say both AOL and Yahoo go with the Goodmail deal.  Will AOL have
> to pay Goodmail a fee for sending email to Yahoo, and vice versa? Or is
> there some deal where email between AOL and Yahoo (and anyone else who
> signs up), is exempt, while anyone else has to pay the fee?

So far, I have seen no indication that AOL is going to purchase any stamps
at all from Goodmail, so the answer would be no, but it is a very
interesting question nonetheless. Will Goodmail customers have to pay to
write to each other? I don't know the answer to that, and cannot figure it
out from their web site.

  Eric