Geoff Tabbron <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 26 Mar 2003 05:27:35 -0500
On Tue, 25 Mar 2003 14:21:21 -0500, Eric Luo <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am sure that the subject contains less than 80 characters, but I still
> get gap like this:
>
> [INSIDEOUT-BI-ETL] Hummingbird Inside Out Newsletter March 21, 2003
>
> Has anyone ever experienced this problem?
>
> Thanks in advance for any assistance.

I know that if I send a message to the LISTSERV list I manage (hosted
off-site) from our corporate mail system, and the subject title is more
than a certain number of characters, then a mysterious space appears in the
subject when it appears on the list (often mid-word).

Upon further investigation, I found that it was our mail system (Microsoft
Exchange -- don't know version) that was causing it, as it processes all
outgoing mail, converting it to plain text and arbitrarily wrapping lines
-- incorrectly, as it turns out, as e-mail header fields need to be wrapped
in a specific way (in general, at white-space characters), otherwise when
they are reconstructed, the recipient assumes that the wrap was at a
whitespace character and reintroduces it.

For more info, see:

<http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B275504>
<http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2822.html>, section 2.2

Geoff Tabbron, Web Manager
--
ETG Education UK Marketing Division (EUMD), The British Council
Bridgewater House, 58 Whitworth Street, Manchester M1 6BB, United Kingdom