Pete Weiss <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 3 Nov 2001 09:38:34 -0500
At 21:58 11/02/2001 Friday, Don Wiss wrote:
 >Paul Heller wrote:
 >
 >>We are having difficulty with long URLs that carry over to two lines in a
 >>Listserv message. The part of the URL that carries over to the second line
 >>becomes unlinked. The first part is hyperlinked text, but since the full URL
 >>is not hyperlinked, clicking on it will result in a browser trying to link
 >>to a page that does not exist. It appears that Listserv is automatically
 >>inserting a linebreak after 76 characters,
 >
 >No. Listserv isn't doing anything. It is the e-mail software that the
 >sender is using that is adding the carriage returns. In my Eudora Pro if I
 >don't want linee breaks I click one of the buttons in a tool bar and there
 >are no line breaks. Of course this also affects the lines of text. So I
 >either manually add line breaks, or I send the e-mail to myself, then paste
 >it into the e-mail going out, and fix the URL that was broken up, and of
 >course click the button so that line breaks aren't added.

There is also the problem of "view" -- what appears to consume multiple
lines on a display screen may be part of the same "line."  This is
especially true with proportional fonts displaying URLs with underscores,
at least in Eudora (PC).

I've also have noticed that some versions of  Eudora made unusable even
short URLs that had contained underscores during the transmit process
(and that did NOT involved LISTSERV(R) nor LSMTP(R)).

YMMV