Russell Nelson <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 26 May 1994 22:13:00 EDT
   Date: Thu, 26 May 1994 19:14:43 -0400
   From: Kenneth Blackwell <[log in to unmask]>

   On Thu, 26 May 1994, Melvin Klassen wrote:

   > On Thu, 26 May, 18:29 ET, Kenneth Blackwell <[log in to unmask]> :
   > > On my list I got a subscriber yesterday whose address is:

   >    VRFY RUSSELL-L
   >    250 <"|/usr/local2/shared/news-filter culist.russell-l">
   >
   > i.e., an E-mail-to-news transformation-filter.
   >
   > I think that you've located a helpful and considerate person at Carleton,
   > who wishes to make your mailing-list available via their "news" system.

   Many thanks. Can you tell me whether readers of this news
   system are thereby enabled to post to my list?

Probably not.  That's a problem with redistributing mail from a
restricted-posting mailing list.  There are two solutions, both
somewhat yuckky:

1) Cause the redistributees' mail to go back to the redistributor, who
then rewrites the From: address to be the redistributor's address,
changing the original From: into an SMTP comment.  That's probably
appropriate for mailing lists that insert a Reply-To: field, because
mail doesn't go back to the From: field anyway.

2) Cause the redistributees' mail to go back to the redistributor, who
then automagically subscribes the redistributee to the original
mailing list, setting them to nomail at the same time.  This loses
when the mailing list doesn't have the concept of nomail.

-russ <[log in to unmask]>      ftp.msen.com:pub/vendor/crynwr/crynwr.wav
Crynwr Software   | Crynwr Software sells packet driver support | ask4 PGP key
11 Grant St.      | +1 315 268 1925 (9201 FAX)    | Quakers do it in the light
Potsdam, NY 13676 | LPF member - ask me about the harm software patents do.