Judith Hopkins <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 23 Aug 1997 23:32:32 -0400
On Sat, 23 Aug 1997, ABLE wrote:

> On Sat, 23 Aug 1997, Alperin, Glenn wrote:
>

> > One solution might be to set all of your lists to
> >
> > * Subscription= By Owner
>
> It seems this would mean moderating the list which seems like a whole lot
> of work. Also we have 5 "hidden"  co-owners in a special file of
> listowners. They are invisible on purpose since they never post to the
> list and just do operations. If they have to let the posts go by hand,
> they will not be invisible anymore.  I see this as a problem. Any way to
> get around it?

    I think you are confusing the SUBSCRIPTION parameter with the SEND
parameter; it is the latter which determines if your list is moderated
or not.   SUBSCRIPTION by owner means that nobody can subscribe
automatically; the request goes first to the listowner specified who
has to approve the subscription.    Once you have subscribed someone
how he or she can post is determined by your setting of the SEND
parameter; if you have SEND= Editor    then your list will be modified
and the person(s) named in the EDITOR parameter will become the
moderators.   If you have SEND=Private then only subscribers can
post, but they will not be moderated.
    You can also have a semi-moderated version with SEND= Editor
  and [log in to unmask],(listname)
All subscribers to the list named in parentheses will be considered
to be the editors of their own postings; only messages from persons not
subscribed will come to the named editor for pre-posting approval.
You can also set individual subscribers to REVIEW (i.e.,
set listname review for [log in to unmask]  )
That will over-ride their being editors of their own postings and
will require that messages from that subscriber also go to the
editor for pre-posting approval.  We do that for our Usenet
subscription and for all new subscribers until they post their
first legitimate message to the list.

Judith Hopkins, Listowner of Autocat
     http://www.acsu.buffalo.edu/~ulcjh