"Byron C. Mayes" <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 28 Jul 2000 11:11:13 -0400
At 12:39 AM 7/28/00 -0500, Winship wrote:
>Generally, the objectionable material you mention comes from  "outside"
>and making your list "semi-moderated" with defualt of REVIEW for new
>subsriptions will block much of it.

Unfortunately, most of *my* objectionable material comes from within. I
don't get much spam, probably because my list doesn't appear in Catalist,
but despite a welcome message and a bottom banner with pretty clear
instructions and frequent reminders from the listowner (me), I still get
the occasional flurry of unsubscribe messages which cause confusion and
annoy the list. After one such flurry someone replied "I keep getting
messages telling me to 'Unsubscribe Black-IP' so I will."

It would be great if there were a content filter (even just a subject line)
to have those messages just bounce to the owner address (or better still
back to the sender with a help file) whether from a subscriber or not.
Perhaps a modification of the Topic= header:

  * Topic= NOunsubscribe,other

could mean that "unsubscribe" is an invalid topic while everything else is
okay (in this scenario, if a topic began with NO the colon or lack of is
irrelevant).

Just a thought.

Byron

--
  Byron C. Mayes, MLS * Head, Library Systems and Technology
  Temple University Libraries