Sat, 2 Mar 1996 00:30:57 -0600
On Sat, 2 Mar 1996, Walter Logeman wrote:
> I thought I might mention that the list I run Psyber-L as one of
> its purposes is to look at the psychological dynamics of list,
> and the roles of leadership.  Stimulated by my learning here I
> have just started a thread there "List leadership"  . . .
>
> > List management, List-owning,  list editing, Moderating &
> > facilitating, are all different and distinct tasks -- though
> > they overlap.

Interesting that you sent this.  While fixing dinner this evening I
happened to wander into wondering why long term listowners (some burn
out early and turn their lists over to others) do it, and thought about
sending a note to this list about it, suggesting it might be a good
research project for a psych. major working on a master's or doctorate.

Most of us don't get paid for the work, and it can be a heavy load with
larger lists, yet we continue to do it year after year.  Explain the
same basics over and over, fight the spam, search for new ways to make
the best use of the resources, etc., etc.  The best answer I can come
up with is we're all total idiots.  That's what I am (just ask Eric if
you don't believe me).

Douglas
       Douglas Winship   Hays County, Texas  [log in to unmask]
                    Secondary AUTOCAT Listowner
                              MEDLAB-L