Jim Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 5 Aug 1992 22:08:25 EST
On Fri, 31 Jul 1992 14:41:58 -0700 <[log in to unmask]> said:
>I have no idea what to do with this...apparently the message header has
>unacceptable format...how do I fix that?..is it all messages going to
>uucp.attmail.comm...or just one sub's...and I only have one sub
>@attmail.com..

 I've never gotten a satisfactory answer from anyone at att.com when
 asking about delivery errors of this kind.  I even got in a vicious
 argument with some cretin on the phone once who insisted that if an
 address didn't have bangs in it ("!" is a 'bang'), it wasn't a valid
 mailing address.  There are some helpful people inside att.com that
 you can reach by sending mail to the postmaster.  I'd suggest that
 if/when you receive indecipherable dreck from an att.com mail gateway
 that you immediately "nomail" the person and forward the delvery error
 to the postmaster asking for help.  There's no point in trying to
 figure out what the error is most of the time, since there's nothing
 useful in the description of the error.  For example, what does,

>Not-Delivered-To: !anybody due to 10 Invalid Parameters
> 	Message header has unacceptable format

 mean?  It means "it didn't work" obviously, but what specifically?
 What went wrong, that is under your control?  And how can you change
 something to correc the problem?  You can't tell from the bounced
 mail.  So save yourself a lot of headaches and ask the postmaster
 for help rather then trying to figure it out yourself (which may not
 even be possible).  And don't *ever* call the phone number that is
 somtimes listed in the mail delivery notice.  The times I've done
 so it's been a complete waste of time, and infuriating to boot.

>help!
>
>-mauri

 -jj