"Peter M. Weiss +1 814 863 1843" <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 12 Aug 1996 08:22:00 EDT
>My list (LAWSCH-L) is linked to a newsgroup (bit.listserv.lawsch-l). Lately,
>while watching the email and the newsgroup, I've noticed that propogation is
>completely unpredictable: sometimes I'll see a message first via mail,
>sometimes on the newsgroup.

>Where and how does the list/newsgroup interface happen? How effective is
>cancelling a post on Usenet? Will it zap the email if it hasn't propogated
>yet?

E-mail and news are less predictable then the rising and setting of
the sun.

It it is being delivered/distributed then you should be a happy
camper.  LISTSERV distributes mail based upon its Distribute
Algorithm which also depends on backbone routers, DNSes, MX
hosts, and mailers.  Usenet has its own news distribution
algorithms and it too depends upon routers and DNSes.

Check the news article PATH: statements and the e-mail RECEIVED:
lines for clues.

/Pete Weiss at Penn State