Thu, 23 Jul 1998 00:35:54 -0700
Winship <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>> Is there any way to edit a post from a subscriber on review and post it
>> to list without an extra "OK" step?  I don't want the messages to show
>> that they came from me, because other subscribers need to see who wrote
>> the original message before they read it.
>
>It can be done, depending on your mail system.  To edit an "ok" approval
>item you have to strip out part of the header and the "ok approval"
>blurb, including the "---Original Message---" line.  You then have
>an item you can edit and forward/bouce, according to how your system
>works, and it will say it is from the original sender but, for those
>who can see it, there will be a "resent" field for you (doesn't show
>up on most people's systems unless the go looking for it, and may not
>even then). Of course there are some systems that will interpret your
>resent field as the from field but there's not much you can do about
>that except gripe.

Thanks for the reply, but I don't see how to use the information. I've
spent several hours working on this problem, and have not found a way
to do it in one step. Sure, I can edit the message that is included
in the OK post, but then what? "Forward" in my reader does not add
any "Resent-to:" or "Resent-from:" lines in the header, but it does
add the original headers to the body of the message. The message
appears to come from me, NOT what I want. On the other hand, if I
use the "resend" feature of my reader, the "Resent-to:" and "Resent-from:"
lines are added to the header, but no matter what I put in those
lines, LISTSERV does not pass the message on to the list showing
the original sender as the originator of the message. Either it shows
as coming from me, or it asks for confirmation. Neither is acceptable.

I find this situation bizarre. I hacked together some code to do this --
to allow me to edit incoming posts and post them to a list showing the
original writer as the sender -- in a few hours. But LISTSERV, the
product of *many* hours of coding, apparently lacks this capability.
As far as I can see, this is the result of a decision to not offer the
capability because editing a post and presenting it as the work of the
original sender is considered to be a Bad Thing. Sure, it can be a Bad
Thing in the wrong hands as any tool can be, but dulling a knife because
someone might misuse it is, frankly, dumb. I'm not trying to hide my
editing from anyone who cares to look, I'm trying to clean out the
junk that the original poster dragged along with his post and to
change the subject line to reflect the content of the post in the
minimal possible time, and show the post as coming from the writer.
These are perfectly reasonable things to do, and the software should
not get in the way.

Now, perhaps LISTSERV does allow this and I'm simply too dense to see
it. I hope that is the case, as I'm not looking forward to dumping
LISTSERV and moving my list to software that is not so paternalistic.

-rex