"David W. James" <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 4 Jan 1996 15:30:36 -0500
One of the subscribers to one of my lists ([log in to unmask]) reports:

On Dec 30,  5:43pm, Charlene Charette wrote:
> Subject: Grand Chronicles list
> I receive the GC in a digest form and have been concerned that it's not
working
> properly.  Perhaps you can shed some light.  After the header there's a total
of
> the included messages then a listing of them, followed by the actual
messages.
> Before the list moved the number of messages listed and the total were always
> off by 1 and I just figured it was counting a header or something.  Now I've
had
> some that were 2 or 3 off and one that was right.  Am I not getting all the
> messages, is the counter unreliable or am I just misunderstanding something?
>
> TIA for your help!
> --Charlene
>-- End of excerpt from Charlene Charette

Is this kind of thing a known problem?  This isn't the first time I've heard
this complaint, but now it has reached a number where I don't think that it is
just misobservation.  The past complaints have been questions like "I just saw
a response to a message I didn't see in a digest..." type things that were hard
to track.  This one at least has some objective measure.

This is on a small list with only a couple of hundred subscribers, but with a
moderate amount of traffic.

David W. James
SCAGC-L ListOwner