Tue, 22 Apr 2003 18:16:08 -0500
> My question is, why does catalist report different numbers of subscribers
> for the same list at the machine name and domain name? I get:
> I notice  that with other lists, the difference can be in the other direction.

Well, but are those reports at *the same time*?  If people are free to
sub/unsub at will those numbers can change in minutes; they do on my lists,
checking not through catalist but with a REV.  When someone doing an
academic survey via one of my lists wants to know how many subscribers we
have (or how many people surveys on my lists reach, which is a totally
different question) to a list, I tell them that it is in constant flux.  If
they want to know exactly how many are subscribed at the precise moment
their survey is released they have to ask in advance so I can check in
advance and control when the survey is released (as important as how many
are subscribed are questions such as: how may are set NOMAIL?, how many
subscriptions are for local redistribution systems?, how many convenience
subscriptions (one person with multiple subscriptions) are there?, etc.

If you get different sub. totals from Catalist it may be because you are
checking at different times and subscription levels change with time.

Douglas Winship