Steve Howie <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 21 Dec 2006 12:51:46 -0500
Paul Russell wrote:
> The fact that you cannot imagine a situation in which you would want to
> prevent
> subscribers from leaving a list does not mean that those situations do
> not exist. Perhaps Steve is managing a list for an employer that
> requires all
> employees to be subscribed to the list. Perhaps he is managing a list for a
> school that requires all students to be subscribed to the list.
> Obviously, there
> is no way to force subscribers read the messages from the list, or to
> prevent
> them from creating filters to delete messages from the list, but that
> does not
> mean that the individuals who ignore those messages will not be required to
> know the content of those messages. The fact you can create a filter to
> delete
> email messages containing policy updates from your employer's HR
> department does
> not mean that those policies do not apply to you.
>
> This question comes up on the LSTSRV-L list from time to time, and
> inevitably
> someone will suggest locking the list, or performing periodic updates.
> Neither
> of these solutions unconditionally meet the requirements outlined in the
> question.

Very interesting discussion, and thank you all for your input. I know
there might be a way to circumvent whatever method is used to thwart
attempts are made to force the subscriber to read their email, but again
this is more of a human behviour issue and not a problem of Listserv
itself.

Anyway, I'd like to have a look at your list exits if I could, Paul!

Thanks

Scotty
--
Steve Howie