Murph Sewall <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 14 Nov 1995 08:55:46 -0500
[Editorial reminder--PLEASE do not quote recent messages in their entirety.
If you do not know how to cut out most of a quoted message, then please
refrain from using quote at all]

The Internet is a COMMUNITY.  As is the case with any communal structure,
we depend upon cooperation and sharing.  The problem with some institutions
and lists appears to be the failure of the "bean counters" to recognize the
value of reciprocity (not surprising since their orientation is more likely
to be based on zero sum game economic equilibrium).

Perhaps a demonstration would be appropriate?  If we can identify the
institutions cited in the Chronicle of Higher Education and others of like
mind and simply shut them off from LISTSERV-wide distribution for say a
week (Mon-Fri)?  We'd have to live without the lists they process for that
period as well, but I'll bet we'd miss them a lot less than they'd miss us.

The commotion would bound to be an attention getter.  Interesting to
contemplate at least.

/s Murphy A. Sewall <[log in to unmask]> (860) 486-2489 voice
   Professor of Marketing                          (860) 456-7725 fax
   http://mktg.sba.uconn.edu/MKT/Faculty/Sewall.html