"David B. O'Donnell - AOL" <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 1 Aug 1996 17:43:17 -0400
In a message dated 96-08-01 17:03:38 EDT, [log in to unmask] (Aldo-Pier
Solari) writes:

> To me, it looks that AOL  users  will have problems in my conference
>  if the provider DOES NOT take any measures to AVOID the HUGE  number
>  of bounces due to:
[ ... ]
>  In  my  view,  AOL (and other .com providers, but mainly AOL) should
>  have some kind  of  routine  to  send  automatic SIGNOFF commands to
>  lists to which the above user categories match in.

Not trying to be hostile, but how do you propose that we track which lists
our members are subscribers of, without violating their right to privacy?
Would the LISTSERV network be able to handle tens of thousands of netwide
UNSUB * commands from AOL?

>  As a matter of fact, I am somehow disgusted  (yes,  disgusted)  with
>  the  relative  frequency  of  such  technical TROUBLE most AOL users
>  create in the conference I manage.

I'm really sorry to hear about the problems they're causing. Perhaps you
could go into further detail? If the problems are ones that could be solved
by education, then certainly I will do my best to see that the issues are
addressed. I should mention that on the five public lists I run, I rarely if
ever experience problems with AOL members, and quite a few of them are
subscribers.

>  This is not my problem.   It  is  an all-out listowner's problem and
>  whether you like it or not, as you profit from the services  offered
>  by  tax  money  and  our hard work to keep those services going, you
>  (AOL) should solve the mess your company stands for.

In this, I have to disagree. We do not "stand for" technical problems by our
members. The fact that with 6,000,000+ members we represent a much larger
percentage of Internet users than any other site in the world is certain to
mean that our members will generate more error messages. It's unfortunate,
but I don't really know of any quick technical fix to the situation. We *are*
working on some adjustments to the mail system which may address -some- of
the issues, but whether it will really be efficacious or not, I don't know.

>  Finally, a question: Why does  this  never happen with COMPUSERVE ?.
>  Perhaps they have some routine which avoid the technical mess ?.

Actually, I see more errors from CompuServe than AOL. Why? I don't know. In
any event, if you have any constructive suggestions on how we might implement
reasonable technical solutions to your problems, please feel free to e-mail
me privately -or- here on the list.

--David O'Donnell