Mitch Rerek <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 19 Jun 2002 09:07:55 -0400
If you are not the owner then you cannot add people to the list.
If you are being told that you are not the owner then you have not been adding people to the list.

If the list is set to
subscription= open
then users can subscribe themselves using the standard
subscribe ListName
command.
You can add the "Confirm" keyword to subscription e.g,
subscription = open, confirm
which posts a message back to the would be subscriber requesting confirmation.
If
subscription= By Owner
then a message is sent to the list owner informing them of a request to join the list.
If
subscription=closed
then new subscribers cannot join the list and the owner is not informed.

Another issue for you could be how the
Default-Options
keyword is setup. It may well be that a new user is not sent a subscription notice at all. This would be similar to using the quiet add feature. Normally for a public list you would want the user to receive a notice with any specific instructions for the list along with the standard subscriber listserv commands.

In order to make you an owner of the list you would request that the owner(s) add you as an owner as well. Keep in mind the subscription options above would also apply. Also keep in mind that the first owner of the list might possibly receive any subscription requests.

===================================

Mitch Rerek
Senior Information Technology Consultant
OIT Customer Support
West Virginia University
(304) 293-4444  ext 2256

=
You created the CONTENTdm list serv for us, but when I add people, it tells
me I  am not the owner, so it isn't bouncing a message back to everyone to
let them know they are on the list now.
I just wanted to be able to add people ( not monitor) but I guess its not
possible unless you are an owner???

Is this possible to do???