Paul Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 1 Apr 1998 17:29:00 EST
Environment: Listserv 1.8d with Sendmail 8.8.8 on Solaris 2.5

We have several large (1000-5000 subscribers) lists that are composed
entirely of local addresses, and we expect the number of large lists to
increase significantly in the near future. In an effort to force
Listserv to send fewer, larger addressee lists to the campus mail
server, we increased Listserv's MAXBSMTP setting. No matter what we did,
however, it didn't seem to make any difference. Yesterday, we were
tracing Sendmail and discovered that it was initiating multiple SMTP
sessions to send a single message with multiple recipients on the same
host. One of our Unix gurus went digging through the Sendmail source
code and the 'bat book', to see if he could find a reason for this
behavior. The 'bat book' has this to say (in part) in its discussion of
TOBUFSIZE:

   "Note that one side effect of TOBUFSIZE is that it also limits
    the total number of recipients that can be delivered at once.
    If you need to increase that limit (and if you have a robust
    version of syslog), you can experiment by cautiously increasing
    TOBUFSIZE."

Has anyone else encountered this? What, if anything, did you do to
address the issue?

pdr

* Paul D. Russell * Senior Systems Engineer * University of Notre Dame
* Email: [log in to unmask] * Web: http://vma.cc.nd.edu/~prussell