Show Text Part by Default
Show All Mail Headers

Topic: [<< First] [< Prev] [Next >] [Last >>]

Print Reply
Paul Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 27 Aug 2013 16:09:09 -0400
text/plain (20 lines)
On 5 August 2013, Hal Keen [log in to unmask] is alleged to have written:

> To be entirely clear, what Gmail seems to be doing is sorting the mail from the poster into the Sent Mail folder instead of the Inbox.

I believe that GMail filters messages based on the internal message-id in the message. The internal message-id is usually assigned by the client which was used to send the message.Generally, the internal message-id does not change, regardless of the number of mail/list servers which handle the message. When you post a message to a list which sends a copy back to you, the inbound message will usually have the same internal message-id as the outbound copy that is already in mailbox. When GMail receives the inbound message with an internal message-id that matches the outbound message already in your mailbox, it discards the inbound message as a duplicate. 

You may be able to get around this "feature" of GMail by changing your list subscription options. Some option settings seem to cause LISTSERV to generate a copy of the message with a new internal message-id. Try changing the options that control the format and content of the message headers. FULLhdr is the default. Try using IETFhdr, SUBJecthdr, or FULL822. 

I no longer work with this stuff on a day-to-day basis, so I may be mistaken.

-- 
Paul Russell
Retired LISTSERV czar
############################

To unsubscribe from the LSTOWN-L list:
write to: mailto:[log in to unmask]
or click the following link:
http://peach.ease.lsoft.com/scripts/wa-PEACH.exe?SUBED1=LSTOWN-L&A=1

ATOM RSS1 RSS2