Mario Rups <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 7 Oct 1996 19:27:48 -0700
David G. McDivitt wrote:

> coming to me rather than whatever list, I asked around and figured it out. Could
> it be other people don't think to look at the return address, either? Actually a
> good many don't. Each time I see it happen, I always post a message to whatever

Could be because not everyone has that option, or can even SEE the reply-to.  I
used to be limited to a mailer (work account, I hadn't the requisite privileges to
change it or substitute my own) that only showed From (and that meant listname),
To (also listname), CC, and Subject, and no headers of any sort beyond that.  (The
addition of the DUALHDR function was a godsend, and I was very grateful for it.)
Once I finally DID get a mailer with headers, it was one heck of a revelation!

(The mailer I have now has a reply-to setting, but it doesn't seem to work unless
you set it for yourself -- pity, for business correspondence I'd prefer answers to
go to the listname-request so that my co-listowners get it directly instead of my
having to forward; I cc: all correspondence to listname-request.)

I, also, prefer List,Ignore for the very reasons you mention.  It only encourages
correspondence to go private, and that is NOT what a list is for, generally.

Mario Rups