Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 17 Apr 1995 16:24:16 +0200
On Mon, 17 Apr 1995 09:57:38 -0400 "Lee J. Silverman" <[log in to unmask]>
said:

>        Hello all. A  quick question: I'm trying to  migrate an existing
>mailing list  to listserv.  I have  a list  header all  set up,  but I'm
>wondering what the best  way to move the subscribers' list  is. I have a
>list  of all  the subscribers  by email  address and  name, in  the same
>format that  a REVIEW might give  me. Is there  any way I can  send that
>file to LISTSERV  and have everyone added to the  list "quietly" (as in:
>they don't get a subscription message),  or should I write a script that
>sends mail subscribing them all?

You prepare a file that looks like this:

quiet add xyz-l dd=userlist
//userlist dd *
user1
user2

and  mail it  to  LISTSERV.  If you're  running  1.8b,  add IMPORT  after
DD=USERLIST. This will speed up the process and relax syntax checks. With
the IMPORT option you can import subscribers in just about any format.

  Eric