Michael Shannon <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 13 May 2002 11:40:48 +1000

> But now, my question is: How do you "educate your users"?
> Does anyone have sample texts which you can send, either to an "offending"

> user or to the entire list?

Helga

you'll find this is a constant battle that will sometimes feel a bit
fruitless.  The key thing to remember is repetition.  Beleive it or not,
some subscribers actually get the point after one or two instances, some
take a bit longer, the rest will *never* learn (and you have to learn to
live with them).

Take a look at our online archive Quick Help Guide where I've created some
helpful pointers.  The last two items talk about OoO responders.
http://listserv.towersoft.com.au/archives/quick.html

Also, when I encounter a user who has such a responder, I immediately set
them to NOMAIL and send a 'gentle' reminder of why they suddenly had their
subscription turned off.  I've put a copy of it at the end of this email.

--
Chazzozz!!

Michael Shannon
Webmaster

"Before you can grow old and wise you must first survive being young and
stupid." - Ancient Proverb

Note: Opinions expressed on this list are my own and do not reflect the
views, opinions or position of my employer.  If swallowed, seek medical
advice.

--------------------------------

Dear List Member

I'm the Webmaster at TOWER and one my jobs is to administer the TRIM Users
Forum discussion list.  Recently I had to temporarily block your ability to
make posts to the list.  This was due to the fact that your e-mail client
was auto-responding to the list with an automated message.  This commonly
happens when people go on vacation but it has the unfortunate effect of
generating a large number of errors.

This block is only temporary and you are most welcome to participate again.
Once your e-mail client is back to normal operation the block can be removed
in two ways.  You can reply to this message or send a new one to
[log in to unmask] advising of your return.  I will remove the block
and return you to normal operation as soon as I receive it (please note that
this is subject to delays).  Alternatively, the preferred, and faster,
method is to do it yourslef.   Instructions for doing so are found below.

Thank you for your patience and help.

Michael Shannon
WebMaster
TOWER Software

LISTSERV password' link.  Enter your subscribed e-mail address and personal
password then click on the 'Login' button.  (At this point you may have to
set a personal password in order to access the user options.  The
instructions are fully explained online.)  At the bottom is a section called
'Miscellaneous'.  Uncheck the box that has 'Mail delivery disabled
temporarily'.  Click the 'Update Options' to finish.

If you would like a handy user's guide to LISTSERV you can find one on TOWER
Software's LISTSERV Archive site.  Simply browse to the main page and click
one of the links at the bottom.

FOR USERS WITHOUT INTERNET ACCESS

Create a new e-mail message.  Leave the subject line blank.  Address it to:

In the body put:

SET TRIM-TUF-L MAIL

Send the message.  A confirmation will arrive shortly showing all the
current subscription options for your account.

For a complete list of available commands, including how to set your account
to NOMAIL, send a new message to the same address as above, leaving the
subject line blank.  In the body put:

INFO REFCARD

Send the message.  A reply will be sent with the list of commands available
for you to use.