Judith Hopkins <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 2 Oct 1994 00:36:35 EDT

>Question two:  What's with the new trend that sites with users whose mailboxes
>overflow send the errors back to the POSTMASTER (not the list owner)? Univ.
>of Washington is one of those, but there are lots of others.  The message
>that comes back is that the file "exceeds maximum allowable length" or some
>such.  What they mean is that the file is too big to fit in the overfilled
>mailbox.
>
>What does one do about these (apart from sigh, I mean)?
>
>Anthea Tillyer     City University of New York      [log in to unmask]

As a listowner I haven't noticed any new trend.  Sites with users whose
mailboxes overflow are still sending those errors to me.  While a user
exceeding disk quota allocation can happen to anyone (it's even happened
to me!) I have two sites with lots of student subscribers.  Their disk
quotas are small and many of them them frequently exceed their quotas.
What I do is to set their accounts to nomail.  It protects me from
being deluged in error messages.  Once in a while I notify someone else
at the site (usually a faculty member) to remind the students to clear
out their accounts and if they have been set to nomail, to reset their
distribution option.

Judith Hopkins, Listowner of [log in to unmask]
  Internet: [log in to unmask]
  Bitnet:   ulcjh@ubvm