Mon, 23 Feb 2004 09:16:34 -0500
"LISTSERV list owners' forum" <[log in to unmask]> wrote on
02/20/2004 03:20:26 PM:

> I'm a non-expert list owner running an announce-only list using 1.8d. It
> seems that some of my subscribers receive postings at institutions which
> have recently begun to filter spam more aggressively with the result
that
> list postings are no longer getting through to them.
>
> I've told these subscribers that they need to have their institution
> whitelist the email addresses of the list editors.  Obviously I can't do
> much on my end, but I wanted to know if this is a common experience and
if
> there's anything at all that I can do to reduce the chances of list
postings
> being misidentified by spam filters.

I have been involved in testing and we're about to deploy a spam filtering
solution and I've seen a pattern of HTML/MIME newsletters (eWEEK, etc)
getting tagged when the plain text versions do not.  If you are sending
HTML formatted messages, you might consider reverting back to plain text.

You might also look into getting a license for the Habeus Warrant Mark (
http://www.habeas.com/).  In most spam filters, that adds a very large
negative value towards the total spam score.  And since they rely on well
tested copyright law to go after abusers, they have much better success
than trying to sue under the laughable CANSPAM.