Roger Fajman <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 6 Oct 1994 01:14:35 EDT
> >If I could  rephrase the question slightly: Has LSoft  given any thought
> >to  implementing a  BITEARN-NODES-independent  way to  do  this kind  of
> >thing? There's  nothing wrong  with the  :newnode approach,  except that
> >it's not very useful for  non-BITNET members. But the ":newnode concept"
> >is still a significant problem for the Internet as a whole.
>
> That's true, but I'm afraid it's a problem the Internet has to solve. The
> BITEARN  NODES file  is  maintained by  a number  of  NJE providers  (not
> L-Soft), where  NJE sites can centrally  register that they are  about to
> change a  name or leave BITNET.  LISTSERV can then use  that information,
> because  it  is  available.  Similarly,  the  Internet  could  develop  a

Well, it wouldn't be a complete solution to this problem, but it sure
would be a help to me in such situations to have a command for list
owners and postmasters to change the host name in one or more
subscriptions.  For example,

   RENAME listname user1@host1 user2@host2

   RENAME listname *@host1 *@host2

All the users' options would be preserved.  Of course, the listname
could be * too for LISTSERV postmasters.