Sun, 5 May 1996 02:01:45 -0500
It would not be at all surpising if I've missed/forgotten this, but I
don't recall seeing a description of the intent of the proposed list.
To me, that would be a vital criterion; 140k subcribers getting one
or two "neat" postings of the day (or week), and 140k subscribers
engaging in active discussion on the list are a universe apart.
If it is discussion, and a typical (my experience only) 1 - 2 per cent.
paricipate, you're looking at 1400 to 2800 postings per day.

I would get nowhere near any such list as subscriber, listowner,
listserv administrator or anything else.

The assumption, it seems to me, must be that the list will be Send= Owner,
or maybe editor, and will be soley for people to get their "neatest news"
fix periodically.  Taking that as a given I would imagine AOL could
probably handle it.

But Pete Weiss' asking *should* it, is this really the best way to do
something like this, is to the point.  The mere fact that a lot of
people have finally gotten a little comfortable with list procedures
(and lots of programs/services out there which will do it all for you
for those who aren't comfortable with it) does not mean that a list,
as I think most of us understand the term on this (ahem) list, is the
best way to go for something  like this.  Maybe it is, maybe it isn't,
maybe it's time for some new ideas on "lists" such as the 140k (and
larger, which some claim, though Slaton and Krazy Kevin will tell they
reach millions daily, and they don't even run "lists").

Douglas
       Douglas Winship   Hays County, Texas  [log in to unmask]
                    Secondary AUTOCAT Listowner
                              MEDLAB-L