John Lyon <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 31 Aug 1999 00:02:32 -0400
> Hi, can anyone explain to me what the "we don't relay" errors mean
> that show up in the daily monitoring report now and then.

What it means is that the mail server will not relay that mail to that domain.
When you see a message from the server at say SNET.NET, will not relay to
to an address like [log in to unmask] ... You know it's screwed up.
If it was [log in to unmask]  then you can understand it. In your case I know the
mail server(s) at SNET have been screwing up for at least a week. It seems they
have been changing thier DNS (MX records) around too. I have written to them
with no responce.

Most mail servers these days are setup to only process/deliver mail to thier own
domain(s) or relay to a select few, or from certain other servers or IP addresses.
This is to prevent spammers from using thier server to send their mail.
Unfortunately it seems a  lot of these administrators don't know how to setup the
software they are using. I get errors like this almost everyday but most of them are
sporatic which indicates some sort of glitch rather than a continual setup problem.