Kathleen Bruce <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 23 Jun 1996 21:19:34 -0400
Jim, I can sympathize with pains on the list. What I did, after asking these
nice folks and my sysop..is to add a line to my header. First you get the
header of your list. Then you add

*  Filter= also,[log in to unmask]

This works to keep them out...but is not totally effective, .. people can
get around this...they can join another provider..or get a new id,..if they
*really* want to be pains. I guess AOL can have 5 acct names per main acct?
Here are some suggestions I got yesterday for the same problem.. I would
suggest that you filter the address you have now..don't be shy..and then
change your header so that all new subscribers are set to review.  I want to
do this too, so I'll be listening for how to do this. ( I knew but lost it.
I am dangerous with the delete key.)
--
From Mike R. "to block users from posting on an open <?!?> list, you add
"filter"

the first filter line you add should start with the keyword 'also'
to include any filters your listserv manager has installed already.
The addresses CAN contain wildcards ( astereks ).  Enample:

*  Filter= ALSO,*@ANON.PENET.FI
*  Filter= [log in to unmask]"
-----
From Joan, who suggested that you make it so that every new subscriber is
set to review...you must then quiet set them to noreview..but this may be
the answer for you.
" I go one step further and have
"review" as the default for all new subscriptions.  That way, if someone
decides to join the list in order to post something inappropriate, the
message will come to me for review.  After a few weeks, I quietly set all
non-problematic new subscribers to NOREVIEW. "
---

I don't know how to have each new subscriber automatically set to review. I
DID know..but I accidentally misplaced that message. Maybe someone can fill
us in.

Kathleen B. Bruce, BSN, IBCLC co-owner Lactnet, LLLOL, Corgi-L
Independent Consultant with Excellent Sense of Humor : D
LACTNET WWW site: http://www.mcs.com/~auerbach/lactation.html
LACTNET archives http://library.ummed.edu/lsv/archives/lactnet.html