Murph Sewall <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 3 Oct 1994 21:43:15 -0400
On Mon, 3 Oct 1994 07:59:53 EST, Gary Wiggins wrote:
>Is the old NSFnet advertising policy still in effect, or has it been
>replaced with something that is more flexible?  I would like to know
>how to find the current rule governing use of the Internet for
>commercial activities.

The "old" policy is (and has been for months) kaput.  The current situation
(one could hardly regard it as so formal as a "rule") is you can send
anything that 1) your provider's terms of service agreement will permit
(UConn.Edu would take a dim view of my peddling on the net from this
address and even AOL severely limits "advertising" by subscribers), and

2) what the "audience" will accept (there are .biz newsgroups that tolerate
more commercial traffic than most other lists).  There seem to be
sufficient mad (mail) bombers in cyberspace to enforce caveat peddler.

If you have a Web client handy try plaza.xor.com (and order flowers for
your significant other)--flexible enough?

/s Murph Sewall                                 (203) 486-2489 voice
   Marketing Department                         (203) 486-5246 fax