Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 3 Oct 1996 15:29:32 +0200
On Wed, 2 Oct 1996 13:00:54 -0700 Eric Paul-Hus
said:

>But it happens with Banyan other PC LAN addresses in the form
>Myfirstname%MY_full_last_name%my_departmant%my_division%mailhost%our_gat

What is the likelihood of a normal  user managing to type this address in
the "Send to:"  field of his mail program without  making a mistake? Does
its owner actually remember it? How does he go about letting other people
know at  conferences that this  is his  address? Could there  possibly be
something wrong or undesirable with this address?

>The only stupidity I see in the situation is the 80 char. card inherited
>from the punch card and still used on IBM VM/XA et al ...

If you want my opinion, the  real stupidity when people state without any
knowledge  of the  subject  that  everything they  want  to  do and  that
LISTSERV cannot do is  due to a stupid punch card legacy.  As a matter of
fact, this  is pretty  much the  same problem as  the database  that only
allocates 30 characters (or whatever) for the street address, and then my
address doesn't fit and gets  truncated. LISTSERV allocates 80 characters
for the e-mail address, if it's  bigger it doesn't fit. The entire record
is actually 100 bytes long, and I have yet to see a punch card that wide.

>And, if the LISTSERV is on VM than you need to limit much further
>because a mailed command is "one record" by line so I guess the working
>limit is closer to 60 char. unless there is a trick to use
>"continuation" lines.

You may  not know anything  about VM, but there  are many people  on this
list who do, and I'm afraid you've just made a fool out of yourself :-)

>Un drtle(*) de Quibicois errant sur la toile de l'Universiti de la
>vie...
>(*):Drtle dans le sens d'itrange pas de comique!

  Eric