Molly Beane <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 11 Mar 2001 06:24:48 -0500
At 01:46 AM 3/11/01 , you wrote:
 >We have hit a very odd problem at the maelstrom listserv that I think is a
 >bug and potentially a security problem.
 >
 >I had a day earlier in the week, and then today where posts that had been
 >submitted a few days earlier suddenly showed up on the list.  The only
 >difference, other than the header information I'll detail below, is the
 >banner is duplicated.
 >
 >That is particularly odd is it appears that a roadrunner server is receiving
 >the posts, then reinjecting the posts back to the listserv, and the listserv
 >software is passing them on.
 >
 >I run a semi-moderated lists.  Two of the posts I had to approve for
 >distribution.  The duplicates came though without requiring confirmation.
 >Of the duplicates, non originate from roadrunner.
 >
 >Then, after getting the duplicates, another duplicate post claiming that it
 >originated from my list address came back to me for approval.
 >
 >And a user just forwarded an error from the listserv claiming they had
 >exceeded their posting limit.  The post was another duplicate already posted
 >(and not needing moderator approval) May 6.

All I can say is me too!  I don't have any answers, but we also had 3 posts
resent to our list,
though they were each March posts.

Also on March 9, one subscriber received a notice that she had exceeded the
5-post limit on March 5.  In addition to the odd 4-day "delay" in
Listserv's response, is that she only sent in 3 posts on that day, and even
the one that was "rejected" by Listserv on March 9 had gone through on March 5.

And, looking back at the headers, this also involved a roadrunner server.

Then, there was one subscriber who managed to post 6 messages on March 6
even though the 5-post limit was in effect using the Daily Threshold= command.

I, too, would be interested to hearing why these oddities have occurred.

Molly