Stan Ryckman <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 26 Apr 1997 15:13:07 -0400
At 10:16 PM 4/25/97 -0400, Lawrence B. York wrote:
>On 25 Apr 97 at 20:16, Seth Dotterer wrote:
>
>> I'm sure this question has been asked several times, but is there a
>> way to add a prefix to the subject indicating that the message comes
>> from a list, rather than an individual... i.e. the from on this list
>> would say [LS] Prefix Questions....
>
>   What you need to do is add a line in your header such as:
>
>      * Subject-Tag= LS

I believe you can skip this step and it will default to the
list name.

>   and then send the following command to LISTSERV to turn this
>option on for all of your subscribers:
>
>      SET listname SUBJecthdr FOR *@*

I recommend not doing this; instead, tell subscribers how to send the
        SET listname SUBJ
themselves.  Some may need their current setting; for example, on one list
I'm on I had to set SHORThdr to avoid bouncing some of the messages
(those travelling through the listserv backbone) due to "too many
mail hops."  If I were suddenly set to SUBJecthdr, the mail hops
bounces would likely return.

It doesn't really accomplish what the original request was, though,
distinguishing list mail vs. mail from an individual; when an
email reply to a list message is made, the replier tends to leave
the Subject containing the tag.  This really needs to be done by
mail clients rather than MLM software to be handled correctly.
(If the "list-header" proposal becomes an RFC, it will become much
easier for mail clients to identify lists.)

One other point: you need at least 1.8c for SUBJecthdr to work.

Cheers,
Stan