Ben Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 30 Nov 1997 09:04:12 -0700
On Sun, 30 Nov 1997 09:24:37 -0500, Greg Grainger <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>One of my subscribers complains that when she hits 'R' to reply to a
>message, it often sends the reply to the original poster rather than to
>the list. (She uses one of the Windows-based mail programs, I don't know
>which one.) She wonders if there is any way I can configure the list to
>make sure this doesn't happen. I told her no, it's all in the way her mail
>progam is configured, but I got wondering. IS there some way of doing it?

This may help explain what you can and cannot expect to control:

On Sat, 15 Nov 1997 08:28:04 -0600, Jessica Snyder
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I have a couple of folks on my Arab-L list who are having
>problems when they use their "reply" command to reply
>to messages on the list.  All intend for their messages
>to go back to the list itself. I've had three people
>with two different problems.

The Reply-To= keyword in the List Header can be used to control how you
want LISTSERV to configure the 'Reply-to:' header line in every msg it
processes.

The default setting is  Reply-To= List,Respect

 which means "set the Reply-to: to the List Address *unless* the original
 sender already has something set in that field, in which case 'respect'
 what is already there and don't change it".

Another option is  Reply-To= List,Ignore

 which means "set the Reply-to: to the List Address and ignore (override)
 anything that is already there."

Another option is  Reply-To= Sender [,Respect or Ignore]

 which means "set the Reply-to: to the original sender's address (same as
 the From: field)" (optional Repsect/Ignore mean the same as above)

All of this allows you to control only how the Reply-to: address field is
filled in.

What you as Owner cannot control (unless all of your readers use the
identical mail program) is what happens when the user presses that 'Reply'
button.  Some programs use the Reply-to: field address, some use the From:
address, some use the (hidden) Sender: field.  some pgms offer a choice of
address to use.  There are as many variations on this as there are
different kinds of mail programs and there is no set rule or standard.  As
noted, 2 of your user's pgms already exhibit different behavior at this
point.

Users must learn the details of their own mail pgm.  In many programs,
which address is chosen can be configured by changing settings within the
program in a 'Preferences' or 'Options' area.

The user always has the final control over where their msg is addressed.
If the Reply button makes a wrong choice for that user's intentions at that
time then the user has the responsibility to change the address so it goes
where they intend.  Sometimes replies are best sent to the List, sometimes
they are best sent privately.  Only the user knows what they want at that
time and they need to control their mail program instead of letting it
control them.
  Ben Parker ........ L-Soft international Inc....... [log in to unmask]