John Burchard <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 31 Jan 2011 08:59:42 -0800
Russ Hunt wrote:

> I'd just like to add here that I've never done it, on the
> (perhaps paranoid) assumption that it's a slippery slope. How
> much editing of what was _really_ said can be refused, once
> you've edited once (can you be just a little bit pregnant)? I
> see myself spending my life manipulating the past so that people
> are spared having accessible the evidence of what they actually
> said. I tell those desperate folks that really you _can't_ take
> it back, any more than you can take back what you said in a
> conversation (and that the wayback machine's probably got it
> stored, anyway).

The only times I have deleted messages have been when a spam message, containing
a dangerous link, slipped through the LISTSERV spam filters (that does happen
occasionally).  I didn't want to leave a booby-trap waiting for some unwary list
member browsing the archives.

I would not consider editing the archives to alter the record of what people
have said or not said.

John
---
John E. Burchard Ph.D.