The Shrim Dude! <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 7 Jun 1995 21:35:03 -0400
This came to MACCHAT few minutes ago.

But ofcourse will not slip past through the irongrip I have on my list.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 1995 18:04:17 +0200
From: mail daemon <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask],
    [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask],
    [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask],
    [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask],
    [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask],
    [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask],
Subject: 1994: Save this file to floppy before it is too late!

This message was originally submitted by [log in to unmask] to the MACCHAT
list at VM.TEMPLE.EDU. If you simply forward  it back to the list, using a mail
command that generates "Resent-" fields (ask your local user support or consult
the documentation of your mail program if in doubt), it will be distributed and
the explanations you  are now reading will be removed  automatically. If on the
other hand you edit the contributions you  receive into a digest, you will have
to remove this  paragraph manually. Finally, you should be  able to contact the
author  of this  message by  using  the normal  "reply" function  of your  mail
program.

---------------- Message requiring your approval (551 lines) ------------------

           SAVE THIS FILE TO FLOPPY WHILE YOU STILL CAN

       20 MINUTES FROM NOW, IT MAY BE GONE FROM THE SERVER!

WARNING: Don't you dare read this story until after Stanford's commencement.
Or else you will displease Gerhard Casper. You have been warned.

FOLLOW-UP: Please follow-up by posting to the following Usenet newsgroups:
    su.etc (Stanford community)
    your local campus/regional/country newsgroup
    alt.politics.clinton (all others)

To conserve bandwidth in the future, may I suggest that you crosspost "1994" to
 a few appropriate newsgroups, including alt.politics.clinton.
Make sure your post does not disappear mysteriously within hours!
Check at least three times a day.
Don't let Stanford University get away with forged cancels.
If your post and/or "1994" disappears, repost immediately and complain to
    [log in to unmask] (Gerhard Casper)
He is the one who ordered that all "1994" posts be forged-cancelled.

APOLOGIES: My sincere apologies for posting to the list but there is no other
 solution, because all posts of "1994" on Usenet newsgroups have been and will
 be systematically forged-cancelled by Stanford University, pursuant to a
 private directive by Gerhard Casper, Stanford's president. In light of such
 relentless censorship,  this is the only way to let Stanford students know that
 their phone calls are still being secretly monitored, without even a court
 order. If you are at Stanford, let your Business School friends know about the
 wiretap. They may still be unknowingly discussing personal matters from the
 courtesy phones in the lobby.

                        * * *

                    "1994" : the story

It all began with these fliers I made in 1993 about Foothill College
and De Anza College in California. "Clements' List" enumerated about
105 lawsuits against Foothill-De Anza ("FDA") but, by late May 1994,
I had printed a "supplement" that showed the existence of an
additional 45 or 50 cases. This brought us to about 150 lawsuits
against FDA in a decade (not counting the additional fifteen or so
that I discovered on June 8), as compared to a grand total of 5 or 6
or 7 against comparable colleges such as West Valley, Gavilan, etc.

In parallel to my crusade against FDA, I was also battling Stanford
University and its president Gerhard Casper (the renowned Law
Scholar who edited the "Briefs of the Supreme Court" collection),
because I felt that I had been unjustly harassed by Stanford's
Campus Police, a unit of the Santa Clara County Sheriff Department.
Starting in December 1993, I occasionally posted a few isolated
"Deutschland uber alles" fliers, which sported a large swastika and
called Gerhard Casper a Nazi.

I met with Sheriff Charles Gillingham in early April 1994 about my
Internal Affairs complaint against Stanford Police. Since he didn't
do anything despite his letter to me, in mid May I started calling
Armand Tiano, the challenger for the upcoming Sheriff election, and
I leaked to him whatever information I had on Gillingham. I made all
my calls for free from one of the courtesy phones in the lobby of
the Business School at Stanford. Casper's office and Stanford Police
knew where I was calling from since they have "Caller ID" within
Stanford's privately run phone system. This displayed the number and
location of the phone I was using.

In late May, I released on several newsgroups of the Internet
computer network a phony story accusing President Casper and
Stanford Police Chief Herrington of embezzling Stanford's monies.
Shortly thereafter, on June 4, 1994, I was again harassed and
detained 15 minutes by Stanford's Sheriff deputies.

Thanks to object-oriented design, it took me hardly a couple of days
to churn out my last flier "das Vierte Reich im Stanford" by
assembling existing files that I had on floppy disk, such as Paul
Biddle's lawsuit against Stanford and excerpts of the novel "Rising
Sun." The flier referred to Stanford's president as
"ReichsOberKommandant Kasper," had a cute little swastika, and
explained the cover-up of my Internal Affairs complaint. On June 7,
election day, I walked throughout downtown Palo Alto and handed out
my double-sided flier to about 500 store owners and offices in
buildings. My flier included an implicit call to vote for Tiano
rather than reelect Sheriff Gillingham. On June 8, I went to
California Avenue in Palo Alto at about 11 am and distributed my
flier to store owners on the South side. Around noon, I took a break
and, on the second floor of the Municipal Court building, I pulled
the microfiche index for the small claims lawsuits.

I had already written down on little bits of scratch paper the
titles and case numbers of about 30 new lawsuits against Stanford
and about twelve against FDA when suddenly, at 12:27, a Foothill
College Police Officer walked up to me and said, "Albert, I have a
warrant for your arrest. Don't move." The officer (Fountaine)
gathered my possessions and bits of paper into my backpack. I asked
to see the warrant but he said that the warrant had been relayed to
him over the phone and that he did not have it. He took me into his
car and drove me to the Foothill College Police station.

There, I asked again to see the warrant. Police Chief Tom Conom said
that: (1) he did not have it; (2) it had been issued by the Sheriff;
(3) it was a warrant for failure to appear in court following a
jaywalking citation in Sunnyvale in 1992; (4) he had been notified
of the warrant over the phone and hence, according to the law, he
did not have to show it to me. Chief Conom said that I had three
hours to make up to three local phone calls and try to have the $297
bail paid on my behalf.

After perhaps 40 minutes, a woman came in and introduced herself as
"senior Border Patrol agent Millie Creager." She said that she
suspected me of being an illegal alien; that she had been
investigating me for over a month; that Foothill College had just
phoned her to notify her of my arrest; that she would place an
"immigration hold" on me while I was detained by local authorities;
that therefore I could not possibly be released on bail and hence
there was no point in my trying to raise money for the bail. While
she was leaving, I overheard the Japanese Dean of Student Affairs
whispering to her and warmly thanking her for helping the College to
get rid of me at long last (1).

I appeared in Sunnyvale Municipal Court the next day, June 9, at
1:30 pm before judge O'Grady. The court papers showed the citation
number as T 139 135 and the warrant number as E00 526 309. The
Public Defender walked across the aisles before the hearing, talking
to each arraignee for about five minutes. When she came to me, she
said that she could not find my case on her calendar and therefore
could not talk to me. When my case was called, the Deputy District
Attorney did not bother making any prosecuting statement as she had
done for all other arraignees, the Public Defender did not come
forward and address the court as she had done for all other
arraignees, the judge was told that I had already spent one day in
jail and he dismissed the charges. Here again, neither the judge nor
I was shown the warrant. The Public Defender, the District Attorney,
and the judge worked for the same Santa Clara County (Silicon
Valley, fifty miles south of San Francisco), just like Sheriff
Charles Gillingham.

On June 10 I was transferred to the Border Patrol station in Dublin
and housed at night in the Alameda County "Santa Rita" jail. My
little bits of paper with names of lawsuits were still in my
backpack then. In the afternoon I was "roughed up" and kicked
several times by a Border Patrol agent, visibly on orders of Millie
Creager, because I still refused to answer questions. On June 14 in
the morning, I finished handwriting a petition for writ of habeas
corpus, put it in a stamped envelope, sealed it and addressed it to
the US District Court in San Francisco, and handed it to a jail
deputy. Just then, a Border Patrol agent (agent Antoine) came in to
escort me back to Dublin and he confiscated my envelope from the
hands of the jail deputy.

Back in Dublin around 11 am, I saw my petition, extracted from the
sealed envelope, in the hands of the officer in charge of the Border
Patrol station. In the afternoon, Millie Creager typed out an "Order
to Show Cause" listing the immigration charges against me. These
differed from those which she had read aloud at Foothill on June 8.
Later, I realized that the new charges, typed in the afternoon of
June 14, had been cleverly designed to deflect the intended defense
that I had outlined in my petition for habeas corpus.

Late in the afternoon, I was transferred by bus to the Los Angeles
office of the Immigration and Naturalization Service ("INS") and, a
day later, to the El Centro INS detention center in the Sierra
desert, next door to Death Valley, where I arrived on June 16 in the
morning. (In the summer, daytime temperatures howered around 128
Fahrenheit degrees, which is 53 Celcius degrees.) My little bits of
paper with names of lawsuits were no longer in my backpack. I have
no idea what interest a federal agency like the US Border Patrol, or
a federal agent like Millie Creager, had in confiscating bits of
paper that listed titles of lawsuits against a local state college
such as Foothill and a private university, Stanford.

In El Centro, in contrast to the other arrivals who were handed a
light blue garb and were escorted to the common "barracks" which
house 120 persons each, I was assigned the red uniform normally
reserved for the most dangerous criminals (I have no criminal record
and had never been arrested until June 8) and I was dragged into an
individual cell in the isolation building where those in the
barracks who have broken a rule serve a punishment ranging from 24
hours to two weeks. I was kept in isolation until about July 13.
Whereas the other detainees in isolation were allowed every day to
get out to make phone calls, I was prevented from doing so. I was
told by an INS supervisor, "We have special orders about you, you're
not allowed to make phone calls." After a week, around June 22, I
had a hearing before an immigration judge (judge Staton) and he
ordered the INS trial attorney (Mr. Cantero, Esq.) to allow me to
make phone calls so that I could find an attorney. INS contempt-
uously disregarded the judge's order and I could not make a call
until after July 13.

Not only was I in a red uniform, locked in an isolation cell with
special orders such as no phone calls, no access to the law library,
no medication (even my Tylenol tablets were taken from me), no
visits by attorneys (a local lawyer who visits new arrivals put my
name on his list - only my name was not called), nothing to read, no
radio or TV, nobody to talk to. But also I was detained without
bond, which meant that I could not be released on bail, I had to
remain detained and in isolation. Several other detainees with a
lengthy history of violent crimes had a bond set at $5,000 to
$15,000. Those with no criminal record usually had bail set at five
hundred dollars.

It took INS four weeks to understand that I was made of tougher meat
than they thought and was not about to waive my rights and beg to be
deported. By the end of June, from my little isolation cell I had
smuggled out of the camp a habeas corpus petition, to replace the
one which had been confiscated in Dublin; a friend filed it in court
on my behalf in early July. My second hearing, set for July 19, was
approaching and, on July 13, INS decided to release me into the
"barracks" rather than face a contempt of court order. Once there, I
started making phone calls and succeeded in contacting many
attorneys all around the country.

It took me a long time, but ultimately I managed to file several
petitions for writ of habeas corpus in the San Diego US District
Court, and the court ordered INS to file a reply to my petitions. I
had a letter to the editor published in the local newspaper, the
Imperial Valley Press. I notified the Office of the Inspector
General ("OIG") of the US Department of Justice in Washington of the
many civil rights violations that I had observed. I finally was able
to go to the rather meager law library of the detention center,
where I looked up the applicable cases. I learned a lot about
immigration law from a little textbook being circulated in the
barracks, "Immigration Law and Procedure in a Nutshell" by West
Publishing.

I had a bond hearing finally in mid October, and the judge set my
bail at one thousand dollars. I started calling friends to raise
money for the bond. I also filed a bond appeal with the BIA (Board
of Immigration Appeals) and took advantage of my appeal brief to
attack the merits of the whole case against me.

My mail (only mine) was being opened by INS and was occasionally
confiscated, just like my phone calls (only mine) were being
monitored at the local Pacific Bell exchange, probably by the FBI on
behalf of INS. An immigrant assistance hotline in San Francisco
mailed me pamphlets entitled, "Immigrant: know your rights" printed
in English, Spanish, and Chinese. They never reached me. I contacted
an agency in Los Angeles which had a pending lawsuit against INS
over detention conditions. They sent me a questionnaire so that they
could add me to their lawsuit as a plaintiff. I never received it.
The booths where family and lawyers came to visit detainees were
enhanced with hidden microphones.

Finally INS started getting tired of me, as I was turning out to be
quite indigestible. Because of my phone calls to the OIG and the
ensuing investigation, my letter to the newspaper, the legal advice
I gave to the other detainees, I was causing INS more trouble than
the case against me was worth. From the contents of my petitions for
habeas corpus and of my brief on appeal to the BIA, INS realized
than it could never win the case against me. More precisely, even if
it won in immigration court, the decision would be reversed on
appeal either by the BIA or by the US Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
on constitutional grounds, resulting in a published opinion that
would permanently handicap INS in the future. The questionnaire on
detention conditions was the last straw.

My bond had been set at $1,000, but INS unilaterally lowered my bond
to the $500 minimum in late November, even though I had not asked
for anything. I suspect that INS wanted to get rid of me. I was
released on bond on November 30. I could barely walk out the door
that day, I had almost lost usage of my legs after a final seven
weeks of isolation, being locked all day in a 6 ft. by 10 ft. cell
(two by three meters). I appeared for my deportation hearing on
December 13 in El Centro and judge Staton dismissed the case against
me, in other words I won my case. Because of a technicality (a prior
ruling in the Ninth Circuit), INS is unlikely to try again against
me - it would lose again, unnecessarily inflicting on itself an
unfavorable precedent. My detention has all been for nothing.

I spent almost six months (June 8 to November 30) in detention
without bail at taxpayers' expense. I was not a convict serving a
sentence, but rather innocent and awaiting trial. In El Centro, I
was kept in isolation globally over three months, which is more than
half the time. All this for a 1992 jaywalking ticket. Or so they
say. In reality there was no hearing date; there was no warrant for
failure to appear; and therefore no legal basis for my arrest. There
was only an empty "warrant number" handcrafted by Sheriff
Gillingham. The June 8 arrest was made only to provide an excuse to
bring in a Border Patrol agent and transfer me to INS to have me
deported. Otherwise INS would not have been able to arrest me; INS
needs "probable cause" to stop someone and there was none in my
case. See below:

  (1) I had had a jaywalking ticket in Sunnyvale in 1992. I tried to
pay it and repeatedly called the traffic court every other week.
After three months I was told to stop calling: my ticket had never
been forwarded to the court and now never would be, the clerk
stated.

  (2) For the sake of argument, had my ticket been forwarded to the
court, there was a notation in the court's computer that I had
done my duty and called to ask for the hearing date. Therefore,
had a judge called my case, he would have dismissed the charges,
or otherwise sent a notice of hearing; he would not have issued a
warrant.

  (3) For the sake of argument, had a warrant been issued from the
bench for failure to appear in traffic court, it would have been a
"bench warrant" (Penal Code sections 978.5, 983) signed by a
judge, not a regular warrant signed by Sheriff Charles Gillingham
himself.

  (4) The statute of limitations precluded issuance of any warrant
one year after the citation was issued. See Pen. 802(a)
"Prosecution for an offense shall be commenced within one year
after commission of the offense." See also Pen. 804 for the
definition of "prosecution." But Sheriff Charles Gillingham issued
the "warrant number" some time in May 1994, more than 18 months
after the citation.

  (5) Per Pen. 842, the arresting officer must show the warrant to
the person arrested "as soon as practicable." Even more than 24
hours later in Muni court, I still was not shown the warrant in
spite of my repeated requests. This means that there was no
warrant. At most there was an empty "shell," a bogus warrant
number (E00 526 309) inserted into the Sheriff's computer. But
there was no actual "paper warrant" and no paperwork in a physical
file documenting issuance of a warrant. The arrest was staged.

  (6) Pen. 982 defines a "non-bailable offense." Jaywalking is not
yet such an offense. Since the goal was to keep me in custody,
prevent me from consulting a lawyer, and hopefully intimidate me
into quickly signing deportation papers (as is done with 99% of
the Latinos arrested by INS), senior Border Patrol agent Millie
Creager was instructed to keep me in custody without bond. All
non-political INS arrestees are usually set a bond at the time of
arrest, ranging from $500 to $15,000, depending on their criminal
record. They are released on bail within hours.

Already Foothill College officials had suspended me from classes for
two weeks because of the fliers I had posted (see Superior Court
case *730 187). They had procured a temporary restraining order and
an injunction silencing me for three years (case *731 107), based on
the fantastic allegations ("He accused the Dean of patronizing red
light district singles bars" ; "he would come on campus with a
machine gun and commit mass murder") detailed in the flier "Your Tax
Dollars At Work."

Foothill officials did not enjoy too much my listing in "Clements'
List" these 105 lawsuits, including the five fraud lawsuits pers-
onally involving Foothill's president Tom Clements. Nor my linking
in the flier "FA-FDA" the campaign funds of three FDA Trustees to
the Shupe & Finkelstein Law Firm in San Mateo, whose partners are
the primary beneficiaries of the filing of so many lawsuits - they
get over $10,000 for each case they defend, and all cases filed
against FDA go to them. Nor my posting on the Internet in late 1993
these fourteen files detailing all the scandals at Foothill and De
Anza.

Stanford did not like my swastika flier against president Casper,