Gary Newhouse <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 10 Apr 1995 14:18:40 -0500

> 10 april 1995 Ottawa
>
> The only thing I can think of that will cause someone to get mail from a
> list they are not subscribed to is that they are still subscribed to the
> list under another user id or someone else is forwarding the mail to
> them.
>
> About the only thing that comes to mind is to write a message to each
> list subscriber in such a way the list subscriber's address is part of
> the message body and see which message the person gets.
>
> Then delete the user in question who forwarded the message.
>
> If the person is getting the mail from a redistribution list the only
> way to stop the mail is contact the admin for the redistribution list
> and if they will not delete the person's address,
> post a message to the redistribution list explaining its list mail feed
> is being killed and why and how to subscribe directly to your list.
>
> Also check for concealed users on your list and in general, anyone with
> the same name as the user getting the phantom mail or even a similar but
> different name
> e.g. initials rather than the name spelled out.
>
> My attitude on redistribution of lists is that in general people shoud
> be directly subscribed to the list to maintain some semblence of control
> over who is on and simplify administration.
>
> Good luck.
>
> Brian Lingard

One other possibility is that someone at their site is using a "bounce"
function to forward mail received.  We have that function (in addition to
forward) under ELM.  I don't know how it effects headers, but it does
appear to come from the first originator rather from the person who
forwarded it.

 --
Gary Newhouse                   email, [log in to unmask]
Director of Library & TV        phone (708) 635-1640