Ben Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 23 Dec 1997 19:42:19 -0700
On Tue, 23 Dec 1997 15:10:07 -0500, Mark London <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>This is a message I just sent to [log in to unmask]:
>
>Dear Rocketmail-
>        I run a very heavily used mailing list for the medical condition
>fibromyalgia,  It's called FIBROM-L.  I recently discovered that your mailer
>automatically adds a signature advertising yahoo.com mail.  Our mailing list
>does not allow advertisements of any sort, and we can't make any exceptions.
>No person using a rocketmail account will be allowed to post to our mailing
>list, and I am going to encourage other mailing list owners to do the same
>thing.
>
>Sincerely Yours
>
>Mark London

Well, it's up to you of course.  I am not a fan of free email services because
you do get what you pay for...  But some people think they are great and for
some people it's about the only way for them to be on-line so I can't fault
that.  As a List Owner (14 some lists now) I differentiate between advertising
that a user might choose to place in their message (and has complete control
over) vs. a sig line that the user has no control over, as it is added after
they send the mail, automatically by their system.  Now you could say there is
some choice here, since they have chosen to use a system that does this, but
many of these users infact aren't aware of it!

So that's another point of view.

 Ben Parker .......... (Aurora, CO) ........... [log in to unmask]