Wed, 28 Mar 2001 19:27:47 -0600
On Wed, 28 Mar 2001, j newton wrote:
> The "twice through the list server" thing works very well for me on my list,
> but once someone has been detected as a bouncer, is there any way for me to
> tell the list server to stop distributing post from them? I am currently
> deleting the subscriber the instant I see the first bounce (with 2000
> members, I can't afford to be nice about it) but I still see round after
> round of bounces come through from the same person.

Are you using auto-delete?  Probe?

I've got one list of 3,500+ (traffic 40 - 65 per day, latter the thrshold)
and another of 2,500+ (traffic 25 -45 per day) and I don't delete at the
first bounce, as "singleton" bounces (one item out of 65 bounces) are not
uncommon.  If I delete at the first bounce I am making more work for
myself and the subscriber.  If it persists I set DIGEST and wait to see if
the Digest bounces for three or four days, then delete.  Of course, if the
person is already DIGEST or INDEX I just let it bounce for several days,
only one per day, and if it doesn't correct itself then delete.

I check the errors, on a special account dedicated to that purpose,
only once per day so I already have a good idea how many postings
there were that day and can easily spot if I'm dealing with a singleton
or not.       Douglas