Liz Marr <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 26 Apr 2002 15:46:09 -0700
I've been most annoyed lately with one of the Listserv lists that I subscribe
to.  I get most of my Listserv lists subscriptions in MIME digest mode,
which Pegasus email does a fantastic job with.  There is one digest that
comes from a different server than all the rest of the Listserv generated
digests.  The messages in the digest have been consistently truncated after
the first message for some time.  Upon viewing the message "in the raw" it
shows that the entire digest is indeed there.  Comparing to a digest from
the same server back when they WERE working correctly, there is NO
visible difference.  Today I got serious about being annoyed and edited the
digest in the text editor.  It turns out there is some sort of "space" on each
blank line throughout the entire digest!  If I remove the "spaces" (I don't
know if they are a real space or some sort of non-printing character)
before and after each MIME separator and after each message header
(MIME digests have basic header information for each message in the
digest) then it WORKS BEAUTIFULLY.  If I don't remove the "space"
after the MIME divider but do take out the one following the headers, then
the headers disappear and the message stays.  If I remove the "space" on
each side of the MIME divider but not the one after the header, then the
headers show up and the messages disappear.

Now, for the question, who do I write to inform that the server is putting in
the weird spaces and it is messing up the digests?  Or do I write the
developer of my mail program and tell him that his program needs to ignore
incidental "spaces" on otherwise blank lines?  I don't think that it is from my
mail service as the MIME digests from the other Listserv servers come
through normally and function correctly.

If anyone wants one, I can zip up and send an example of a "before" and
"after" digest that is giving me such fits.  There is no way I'm going to edit
several months worth of digests so that they "work" unless I can find a text-
type editor that will recognize a blank line and remove the invisible spaces
Something that recognizes [LF][space][LF] in a search pattern and will
replace it with [LF][LF].

Thanks.