Mon, 10 Feb 1992 13:26:00 LCL
>As an owner of a couple of lists...I find it VERY agrivating to have an "ad"
 for
> another list appear on one of mine.  Or on one I subscribe to, for that
 matter.
>  Anyone can find out what lists exist out there through a simple LISTSERV
> command or by getting the lists.of.lists from NDSUVM1 (VM1.NoDak.EDU).

I disagree with this one hundred percent.  First, many (I daresay most)
users are not savvy enough to find a copy of the list of lists.  And then,
even if they do, do you truly expect them wade through it on a regular
basis trying to find the one or two new lists which may be of interest?
The list of lists often has woefully inadequate descriptions, and frankly,
is quite incomplete.  I've recently been compiling a true list of lists and
have over 3000 mailing lists on it -- no one source I've found lists over
1700.

>My lists are for the discussion of appropriate material...not for advertising.

But advertising a new list to a clientel which may be interested *is*
appropriate material.  For example, I recently started a new mailing list
for users of the Macintosh modeling and animation package ModelShop.  I
feel no shame or guilt about posting announcements to several lists which
deal with architectural education, industrial design, and visualization --
these are all relevant fora.  I would not even consider posting it
someplace that has no relevance, such as AIDSNEWS or BRINE-L (the brine
shrimp mailing list).

Mailing lists exist to provide relevant information to interested parties.
If the announcements are somethings the list readers potentially can use,
then by all means, post those announcements!

Peace,
Mike!

Listowner, MODLSHOP@irishvma for ModelShop users
           DOC-COOR@irishvma for documentation editors at universities

*  ______  |  Mike! <=> Mike W. Miller           office:  219 239-8679  *
|  \    /  |  e-mail:  [log in to unmask]        home:  219 237-0788  |
|    \/    |  User Services Department                                  |
*          |  Office of University Computing, University of Notre Dame  *