Jacob Haller <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 19 Mar 1999 17:38:59 -0500
At 5:01 PM -0500 3/19/99, Randy Ryan wrote:
>I have a fellow list owner I am assisting that has a couple of disgruntled
>people that are spoofing email addresses of valid subscribers to bypass
>moderation.  Listserv 1.8d
>
>Other than putting the entire list under moderation and complaining to the
>ISPs, is there anything else that can be done?

My first response was, "Not that I can think of."  But actually there are a
few fairly extreme things that might be able to be done, with the
cooperation of the LISTSERV maintainer and possibly some of the other
sysadmin types.

One would hope that the ISPs would be quick to remove the accounts of
people who are maliciously forging email.  If that turns out not to be the
case, you (or someone with the right amount of power) might consider
blocking email originating from their IP address or from their ISP.  Note
that in the latter case people with the same ISP will also not be able to
send mail to your mailing list.

The technical details (including how possible it is) would vary from site
to site.

-jwgh