Stan Ryckman <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 27 Dec 1998 20:55:22 -0500
At 05:20 PM 12/27/98 -0500, Glenn Alperin wrote:
>Hello!
>
>I seem to have a subscriber who, just today, has informed me that she is
>recieving e-mail from multiple lists at maelstrom.stjohns.edu but the only
>one of those lists she is subscribed to is mine.
>
>I have asked her to forward to me every message she seems to have recieved in
>error, and looking over all of the header information, it looks to me like
>she is recieving e-mail which is not even addressed to her at all.  I presume
>that listserv uses the X-To: header field to notate where individual messages
>should be directed to the subscribers, and in every message she sent me, the

I believe that X-To: shows (if X-Tags is set to Yes in the list header) other
recipients in the To: header *of the original message as it arrived at listserv*.
You would not normally expect to see the recipient's email address in *any* of
the RFC822 headers (with the possible exception of "X-Envelope-To:" or something
similar which might be added by the receiving MDA).  This information is in the
envelope (RFC821) and not made visible unless the receiving mail system puts
it there just before delivery.

Mailing list mail is not normally addressed to the recipient.  It is "as if"
the entire list is a Bcc: (this applies to more than just LISTSERV lists).

(Apologies for being unable to shed any light regarding the stjohns problem.)

Cheers,
Stan