Joan Korenman <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 24 Nov 1995 09:47:28 -0500
     About ten days ago, I changed the default on my unmoderated list
so that all new subscriptions are set to REVIEW.  My intention is to
prevent inappropriate postings from commercial folks and subscribers
who don't take time to read the welcome letter before they post
messages outside the list's focus.  I also expect that in some finite
amount of time, perhaps 2 or 3 weeks, I will set these no-longer-new
subscribers to NOREVIEW (probably quietly).  I also use REVIEW for a
few more seasoned subscribers who for one reason or another are unable
to adhere to the list's policies.

     I've already encountered one small but easily surmountable problem with
review, namely, as the LSoft manual points out,

> Also note that the confirmations must come from the user id that originated
> the command. You cannot send a command from one account and then approve it
> from another.

Because I sent the revised header back to listserv as a file via
Bitnet, all the ok's must come from my Bitnet address, even though the
notification from listserv comes to my Internet address (and yes, I
*know* that UMBC should register them as equivalent, and no, UMBC
isn't gonna do that).  However, while I can easily work around this by
simply sending a separate OK to listserv from my Bitnet address, what
happens when I go out of town for a while and someone else (with
listowner status) temporarily takes over the list??  If the only
address listserv will accept ok from (on an unmoderated list) is my
Bitnet address, how can messages be ok'ed in my absence?

     I'd appreciate any help my esteemed fellow listowners (and the rest
of you, too :-) ) can provide.

     Many thanks.

     Joan Korenman

*       Joan Korenman                 Internet: [log in to unmask]           *
*       U. of Md. Baltimore County                    or                    *
*       Baltimore, MD 21228-5398                [log in to unmask]     *
*    The only person to have everything done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe  *